The San Francisco Foster Youth Services Program (FYS) strives to address the unique educational needs of foster youth by working collaboratively with youth, caregivers, schools, placing agencies, and other service providers. Our website is a resource for collaborative partners to support the academic achievement of foster youth; enhancing their overall success.
Thank you for celebrating National Foster Care Month!
Thank you to all who joined us at our two special events held in May and made this a time to recognize and celebrate youth and those who make a difference in the lives of children in foster care. Congratuations to the honorees!
FYS End-of-Year Celebration (held May 14th)
- Celebrating students for demonstrating their commitment to their educational success
- Acknowledging nominated caregivers and service providers that have done exemplary work in supporting the permanency and/or educational needs of foster youth students
2014 Foster Care Month Youth Leadership Awards (held May 7th)
- Acknowledging current and former foster youth that have demonstrated leadership in their communities and in their own personal growth.
Foster Care Story Offers Opportunity in Trying Times
Read a story on foster care published in the Oakland Tribune about the heroes who provide support to children during the toughest days of their lives. Read the story.
Connecting Foster Youth to Career Development Opportunities in SFUSD New Ways to Work has developed a guide book for use by San Francisco foster youth, caregivers, social workers and other service providers to assist foster youth in learning more about the career opportunities that exist in SFUSD high schools.
In addition, New Ways to Work has developed a guide book for career development opportunities in California high schools. This guidebook also provides checklists that outline the steps in getting connected.
San Francisco Guidebook (pdf) | California Guidebook (pdf)
“Our Community, Our Children” Campaign materials now available online Help promote the need for San Francisco foster and adoptive parents in your community! Visit our Media Center to download and print “Our Community, Our Children” foster/adoptive parent campaign materials from the FYS website.
Foster Care Legislative Updates
- Foster Care Benefits Extended To Age 21
The Governor has signed a monumental piece of legislation extending Foster Care benefits and services to age 21. Read AB 12 Provisions and Other Recent Legislation
- Fostering Connections Resource Center
The Fostering Connections Resource Center has been created by a consortium of foundations to provide timely and reliable tools and information on all aspects of the federal law, the Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act of 2008. The Fostering Connections Resource Center includes a Web site (www.fosteringconnections.org) providing data on all aspects of the law and customized tools.
- Foster Ed Connect is a free online community and resource clearinghouse for all people helping children and youth in California's foster care system succeed in school (a project of the California Foster Youth Education Task Force).
More News Stories.